Saturday 30 April 2011

Another blog about bands that you may or may not care about.

Songs with really long and arguably pointless names.

You can google 'songs with long titles' on google and currently you will get around 36,000,000 results. And why? Because there are many songs with long, pointless titles and people recognise this, and like me, they are writing about it.

One song I found on my searching is: A simple song with an overly long title (your MP3 player will not like it at all, and might refuse point blank to play it), which is nothing but a pathetic and blatant attempt to get into the record books with the longest title ever, by the rather obvious (and very silly) means of rambling on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on without rhyme or reason, and, more importantly, without stopping, ceasing or pausing (except for breath and a little punctuation) [The built-in redundancy of the title is noted and welcomed, as it adds to the overall length of the said title, which is, after all, the point of the exercise (the song itself being merely an afterthought (although it does have quite a pretty tune if you like that sort of thing (I do), this song is by a band called Bush Dogs. And why have they named it this? For no apparent reason, just to give their song a title, and a title people will talk about, because lets face it, people will talk about this title.

One band who go in for the whole long title idea is Fall Out Boy. Some examples by them are 'Our lawyers made us change the name of this song so we wouldn't get sued' and 'I slept with someone out of fall out boy and all I got was this stupid song written about me'. So what is the need for these long 15+ words titles? They add a USP to the band, and make them a little more interesting. Because lets face it 'Dance, Dance' is well enough, but your not going to give the name a second glance.

I am a fan of these long titles myself. But in my own personal preference when it comes to music I like things to be longer, longer length, longer titles, longer period of time for which they have been around.
Longer keeps my interest. Although for others it will be boring and tedious to listen to an 8-minute song, when there is a shortened 4minute version available. And the same with titles, why listen to a band with hard to memorise titles, when you can listen to one that limits all there titles to less than 5 words.

But all music is down to personal preference I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment